English Chocolate Cake with Caramel Sauce - The Ultimate Cake


How to describe this cake. First off, let me tell you that I made it couple times already and it's always been a hit. Now I get requests to make it. I have first talk about this cake on October 5th, 2006 when my brother was visiting me in Nova Scotia. He drooled over it.

Since I haven't review this cake in English I decided to make one today, just to share the recipe with you.

Why do I call it the 'Ultimate Cake'? I guess it's because this was the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about it.

This cake is made with dates puree. You are all familiar with the famous Queen Elizabeth Cake. This cake uses the dates puree, the flour, sugar, eggs etc., similar to the Queen, but is has a twist. You add cocoa powder to the mixture.

The Queen Elizabeth Cake has a caramel sauce on top and sometimes people will add coconut. If using nuts, I usually mix them in the Queen's mixture. In this cake, you'll be topping your cake with nuts than you'll add a layer of chocolate chips and pour on top the Caramel Sauce. You have to reserve some of the sauce to serve with the cake. Add some ice cream if you wish and you have the 'Ultimate Cake'. All of your guests will leave home wanting the recipe.

This cake freezes really well also. So keep couple pieces in the freezer for those unexpected guests

RECIPE