Chef's Ron Smoked Meat Sandwich



One of the best places I worked was in Fredericton at the Headquarters of the RCMP. The building was really nice, the best people working there and the food at the cafeteria was to die for. Chef Ron was well know in town as he was a Pastry Chef at a restaurant downtown Fredericton. What a joy for the RCMP employees when he took the job as the Head Chef in the RCMP cafeteria. Ron always had good recipes. Quick to make, comfort food. When you were eating his desserts you were in Heaven.

Since I'm a foodie it did not take long for Ron and myself to connect. One day he made these sandwichs. I had never tasted these before and of course I had to ask for the recipe. So what I would do is 'trade' recipes with Ron. So I came to work one day with a great Lentil vegetarian lasagna recipe because I knew his daughter was vegetarian. The 'trade' was to get his famous Smoked Meat Sandwich recipe. As it turned out it was the recipe for the Reuben sandwich and instead of using pastrami he was using Smoked Meat. I could have figure this out by myself.

So I started making this sandwich at home. I come from a farm in Quebec and my mom never went out of her comfort zone. So we had the same menu every week. I'm not going to bore you with the details. I was raised eating meat and potatoes and mom did not experienced much in the kitchen. Boxes cakes also, but homemade on special occasions. I grew up eating the same food, I know exactly was I was going to eat on Sunday night, Monday night etc. I started experiencing when I got married. I had all the liberty in the world to try anything I wanted. It took a while for my husband to adjust to all the new cooking. He was raised the same as I. So when I came home and made this recipe all I could hear from his mouth was: Wow this is so good. Can you imagine a simple Reuben sandwich. So I adopted this recipe, the kids love it also and it's now a staple in my kitchen. I'll still share the recipe but I think everyone on earth (except me) had had Reuben sandwiches in their life.


Chef Ron's Smoked Meat Sandwich

AKA Reuben Sandwich:

rye bread
Thousand Island dressing
Smoked Meat or Pastrami
sauerkraut
Swiss cheese
Caraway Seeds

PREPARATION:

Warm convection oven to 350F.

Spread 2 slices of rye bread lightly with housand Island dressing. Put a layer of sauerkraut over each slices, then top with couple slices of Smoked Meat or Pastrami then a slice of Swiss cheese. Top it with 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds.

In the oven for 10-15 min. until cheese has melted.