Maple Date Bars

Maple Date Bars




Last week my parents flew from Québec and I wanted to have a treat to eat when we arrived home. I bake a batch of Maple Date Bars. I haven't had date bars in a while since all my recipes are high in fat. To my surprise this low-fat recipe is really good. Within couple days the bars were gone. They were enjoying them even for breakfast with a good cup of coffee. I like the fact that these bars uses one of my favorite ingredients: maple syrup.



MAPLE DATES BARS


  • 1 3/4 cups finely chopped pitted dates (about 12 ounces)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/3 cup maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
  • 1 cup regular oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • Place dates, water and maple syrup in a bowl that goes into the microwave. Cook 10 minutes at high. Stir in lemon rind, cool.
    Preheat oven to 400F.
    Line a 13x9 pan with parchment paper or spray with Pam.
    In a large bowl, using a mixer at medium speed, beat butter and sugar.
    Beat sugar and butter with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. 
    Add flour, oats, baking soda and salt. Mix together.
    Press half of the mixture into the pan. Top with dates. Spread remaining flour mix on top. Press well.
    Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Let cool before serving.


    (adapted from Cooking Light)