Cherries, Blueberries, Raspberries Crumble

Fruit Crumble



Tonight I was in 'Dessert urge' mode. I really had to have dessert. After reading all of my favorite food blogs I could have eaten a whole pan of brownies or a chocolate cake by myself. But my waistline would not be happy with me. I decided to settled for a crumble. Some people eat crumbles only in the Fall, I like them all year long. During my shopping trip, this week, I bought a big bag of fresh cherries. They are great on their own but it's still nice to experience with them. I pulled out a recipe that my mom had gave me for apple crumble and did some modifications. I used pitted cherries, blueberries, raspberries instead of apples. I had fun pitting the cherries. I don't own one of those cute cherry pitter so I had to use a very sharp knife. Couple minutes later I had pitted a full bowl of cherries. They were pitted in many little pieces, my nails were red but it worked. Someday I will treat myself to a real cherry pitter. It is one of those kitchen gadget that you don't think of buying until you really need it. My mom recipe did not say to mix the fruits with Maple Syrup. I think that it adds a nice sweetness to the fruits. I also wanted more oats so I did use less flour and did triple the amount of oats. I used Extra Thick Rolled Oats from Bob's Red Mill that I had bought during my trip in the States. The crumble turned out to be delicious and I was surprised at how good are cherries in a crumble.



Fruit Crumble










Fruit Crumble

Ingredients
3 cups apples, peeled and diced (or any fruits)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup oats
1 to 4 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar

Directions
1- Preheat oven to 350F. Place all fruits in a oven safe dish. Drizzle maple syrup on top and mix.
2- In a small bowl mix the melted butter with the flour, oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and brown sugar.
3- Sprinkle topping evenly over fruits.
4- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Delicious with ice cream.

Inspired by my mom recipe