Hot Cross Buns Recipe - Easter


hot cross buns







Lots going on this week, we are packing for NYC. We are flying tonight and will be spending Easter week-end in New York. I always like to plan for trips. This time my son Maxime and I met up with his friend Dylan, who is becoming an expert for this exciting city. He gave us some great advice, suggested Broadway plays, restaurants, shopping. We are leaving with an extended list of things to see and do. He even sent us an itinerary by districts. Cannot thank him enough. We share a passion, Dylan also blogs. I am a follower of his blog, his tag line is 'arts & science, literally' and he's really bringing the coolest new findings in neuroscience with art and contemporary european and american pop music". While I am blogging I often listen to new music that I am discovering through his blog. It would be nice if you could take the time to visit Dylan's blog: inD-K.

Now we'll talk Hot Cross Buns. I have never tasted or baked a Hot Cross Buns. Couple weeks ago I was invited by Val at More than Burnt Toast to Invite a Blogger to your Table. The concept is to invite another blogger to share a recipe with you. This is a great opportunity to challenge yourself in the kitchen and create new friendships.

Val challenged me to bake Hot Cross Buns. In Canada we see them in stores around Easter and served them on Good Friday. After researching recipes I found one from Canadian Living. These turned out as anticipated, a soft spicy yeast roll. Really good the next day toasted with jam. Next time I will make a cream cheese frosting for the topping.


HOT CROSS BUNS

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 cup milk, warmed
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup dried currants
1/4 cup chopped candied peel, mixes
Glaze
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water
Icing
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 tsp water

Directions
Here's a link to the full recipe for Hot Cross Buns.