Waffle Frittata

waffle frittata




Breakfast is good at any time of the day. To prove it to you I made these Waffle Frittatas and ate them for lunch today. Oh boy do they ever taste good! I was inspired by Matt at Real Food by Dad for these waffles. If you have not had a chance to visit Matt yet he just started blogging in April of this year and he is already successful. No wonder when you are such a genius. I've been drooling over his recipes since I've discovered his blog. I have bookmarked so many recipes from his blog and today was the right morning to try his frittafle recipe.

I made some modifications and I am quite happy with the results. Three things I did not have in the kitchen were a non stick pan that I could put in the oven, arugula and roasted potatoes. I replaced the arugula with green onions because I never get enough of them. Then the non stick pan was replaced with a pie plate covered with parchment paper. That worked so well. The good thing about it is that it was easy to slide out the frittata from the plate. Then I replaced the roasted potatoes with McCain potato pancakes. 

My method is slightly different than Matt's. Since I did not have a non stick pan and was using the pie plate I did not cook anything on the stove prior to cooking the frittata in the oven. I had cooked bacon in the freezer and used that instead of cooking my bacon, but you need to cook the potato pancakes prior to make the frittata. And instead of cutting the frittata in 2.5 inch rings I cut the frittata in four pieces. This hit the spot and I can't wait for my sons to come home and eat these Waffle Pancakes this afternoon. They spent the night at a friend's cottage and I am sure that they will appreciate breakfast for lunch today!






WAFFLE FRITTATA

Ingredients:
4 large eggs
4 pieces of bacon, cooked
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 green onions
4 McCain potato pancakes, cooked
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/4 cup parmesan, shredded
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a 91/2 in Pyrex pie plate with PAM. Cover with parchment paper.
2- Place the potato pancakes on a cookie sheet. Cook at 375F for 18 minutes. Cut in small pieces.
3- In a large bowl mix the eggs with green onions, red pepper, salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into the mix. Add the potato pancakes pieces, 1/4 cup of the mozzarella and the parmesan cheese. Mix well and pour into the pie plate. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
4- Bake at 375F for 15 minutes or until eggs are cooked.
5- Remove from the oven, lift of the parchment paper, place on a cookie cooling rack and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
6- Place the frittata on a plate and cool in the refrigerator for one hour or more.
7- When ready to eat, heat the waffle iron. Cut the frittata into 4 pieces. Place 2 pieces into the waffle iron. Press down and hold for 1 minute. Repeat with the other 2 pieces. Et voilà you have an amazing breakfast!



Inspired by Real Food by Read Dad