Chili Con Carne Recipe

Chili Con Carne


Halloween is coming soon and I bought treats for the goblins. My kids are too old to go trick or treat, but I like to open the door for the children in my neighbourhood. Last year we had over one hundred kids that knocked on our door. The door bell was ringing non stop for three hours. It's always fun to look at all of the costumes. Some kids are very creative. My daughter came to carve pumpkins, she did a very good job.

Since I'm busy all evening giving treats, it's best for me to prepare dinner in the morning or the night before. That way, whenever I have a moment, I just have to reheat the food and eat. When my son gets home, dinner is ready.

This halloween we will have this Chili con Carne. Chili is always better if you make it the day before. It also freezes really well. And for toppings use your imagination, we like scallions, sour cream, avocado, cheese and jalapeños.


CHILI CON CARNE

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. oil
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 - 1/2 lb. (675 g) extra-lean ground beef
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (19 fl oz/540 ml) no-salt-added red kidney beans
1 can (10 fl oz/284 ml) 25%-less-sodium beef broth
1 can (5.5 fl oz/156 ml) tomato paste
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 cup Cracker Barrel Shredded Mozza-Cheddar Cheese, to serve
1 cup sour cream, to serve
Green onions, to serve
Jalapeños, to serve
Tortillas chips, to serve

Directions:
1- Heat oil in large saucepan on med-high heat. Add onions, green peppers and garlic, cook and stir 5 minutes.
2- Add meat, cook 10 minutes or until evenly browned.
3- Add tomatoes, beans, broth, tomato paste and seasonings, bring to boil. Simmer, partially covered, on low heat 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
4- Serve with tortilla chips, green onions, sour cream, cheese, jalapeños. You can also add avocado slices.



Disclosure: I am a Kraft Canada #WhatsCooking contributor.