Old-Fashioned Doughnuts Recipe

Old-Fashioned Doughnuts Recipe

On Sunday my three children were home and we had a nice brunch together. We then spent the afternoon making Old-Fashioned Doughnuts. At this time of the year, I crave holiday food. I like to listen to Christmas music and bake. Creating delicious comfort food and having my two hands in dough is so therapeutic for me, and the smell of baked goods reminds me of childhood memories.

Years ago, I would make these doughnuts with my cousin Michel, it was our own tradition. Since he passed away, I miss it and I am so thankful that I can bake and cook with my children now. I hope we continue this tradition for years to come of baking together for the Holidays!


OLD-FASHIONED DOUGHNUTS

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
4 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk or almond milk

Directions:
1- In a small bowl whisk the flour with baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
2- In a large bowl cream the shortening with half the sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.
3- In a medium bowl beat the eggs until foamy, gradually adding the remainder of the sugar.
4- Gradually add the eggs to the shortening mixture. Add the vanilla.
5- Gradually add the flour mixture to the shortening/eggs mixture, alternating with the milk.
6- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge for at least one hour.
7- On a floured counter, roll out the dough to 1 cm thickness. Cut doughnuts with a 2 3/4-inch or 3-inch round cooking cutter. Then cut out holes with a small round cutter. I keep scraps on the side and reuse to make more doughnuts.
8- Pour oil into a heavy-duty pot to a depth of 2''. Place a deep-fry thermometer on the side of the pot. Heat oil to 375F.
9- Add 4 doughnuts to the pot and fry until deep golden brown, about 30 to 45 seconds per side. Transfer to a cookie sheet lined with paper towels and let cool 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
10- Dip doughnuts in a sugar-nutmeg mix or powdered sugar.

NOTE: Eat these doughnuts right away or freeze them for later. Warm the doughnuts in the oven or the microwave before serving.

Source: Five Roses



Beignes






SaveSaveSaveSave