The Best Salted Caramel

Salted Caramel


The title says it all, this is The Best Salted Caramel that I have ever made. And it's the easiest also. Believe me! And I made it in my new slow cooker. I've been using slow cookers for more than 25 years. I actually own four. I have three in my house and one in our recreational vehicule. I usually make soups, chicken recipes, rice and other meals in my slow cookers but I have never made dessert before. For the holidays, I like to give homemade goodies to friends and family. I guess I have a bit of Martha Stewart inside me! Yesterday it crossed my mind that this year I should make Salted Caramel, but I did not want to stand by the stove and stir the sauce for 10 minutes. While I was on the phone with a blogger friend, I placed all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and could talk with her without worrying about burning the caramel. That's how I like it! It can be intimidating to make salted caramel because when you make it on the stovetop you really have to be watch it or it will not be edible.

I tried different recipes and I'm sharing the one that I like best. It has the taste of old-fashioned brown sugar, sweet and sticky. I added Fleur de Sel because I like the combination of sweet and salty in sweets. This Salted Caramel will keep in the fridge for a couple weeks and it will thicken when it cools. It's good on buttery toasts, on my homemade ice cream, brownies, apple cake and more. The possibilities are endless.

THE BEST SALTED CARAMEL

Ingredients:
1 can (300ml) condensed milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cream 35%
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Madagascar Bourbon) 
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel

Directions:
1- Place all ingredients, except the salt and vanilla extract, in the slow cooker. Mix well.
2- Cover and cook on low temperature for 1 hour. Add the salt and vanilla extract. Mix well.
3- Pour into Mason jars. Let cool at room temperature. Refrigerate the sauce.